Sunday, April 6, 2014

Jason's chapter, post #4

In the Jason chapter even though it was finally easy to understand it was yet unbearable to read, especially with the “special” words he liked to call some people. Jason even from the beginning of the chapters was full of such spite and hatred towards just about everything. Jason is also very fixated on Caddy like his brothers, but in a different way that he only sees the bad in her and always seeks to get her in some sort of trouble and easily sees her as the blame for all of his problems.  He is also very good at rejecting the love he receives from his family and from woman, not to mention he has a very strong hatred for women as well. “I never promise a woman anything nor let her know what I’m going to give her. That’s the only way to manage them. Always keep them guessing. If you can’t think of any other way to surprise them, give them a bust in the jaw.” (pg. 122) He has nothing good to say about anyone, and if you thought it was only women he hated let’s not forget the hatred he bears inside for African Americans and Jews as well, "I give every man his due, regardless of religion or anything else. I have nothing against the Jews as an individual,” I says.  “It’s just the race. You’ll admit that they produce nothing” (pg. 120) He bases his hate for these other races on an economic profit clearly; they do not mean anything or produce anything thus they are not important. Also we cannot forget Jason’s obsession with money which plays a huge role in this chapter and even others, he has scammed people since he was just a little kid by getting kids to sell kites made from flour and even when he is an adult he steals money and lies to his mother to get more. Coincidently enough when Jason has money he is still as bitter as before, and he is always spending time regretting his past. Jason was a mean person with no good intentions whatsoever and throughout the story he seems to never change from his crummy ways.

2 comments:

  1. good comments here, look at how he relates to the whole as well and why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angelina, I like how you worded his relationship with women. You said he is "very good at rejecting the love he receives from his family and from woman". I feel like his way of filling this void he has is by replacing it with money. Unfortunately everyone knows money can't buy happiness, and in this situation, Jason is a complete idiot as to what he does with his money.

    ReplyDelete