Sunday, March 23, 2014

Quentin chapter June 2, 1910

When reading Quentin’s chapter I found it very frustrating and difficult to read although it was very interesting and enlightening to read, the lack of punctuation gave me a headache by the end of the chapter. Another thing that I saw while reading Quentin’s chapter was that, I never understood who was talking in certain places because of the lack of punctuation as well. I got a sort of idea that clearly someone else was speaking but determining even who it was very hard because Quentin did not have specific quotes from them. With that being said, you can clearly see that Quentin had not even a clue of the sense of “I” or how to use it. How I started to figure out who was speaking was Quentin often used italicized words for different people and their actions. Once I started to figure out who was speaking Quentin’s chapter began to be easier to follow through. His narrations has a lot to say about his mental state, in the story Quentin is captivated by this whole “time” idea, and also he remembers falsely confessing to his father that he had committed incest with Caddy and his true feelings for her. These two things have put Quentin in a troubled state that he believes no one can understand.  Quentin was constantly disappointed by how the world seemed to work coming to the conclusion that his father was right, he did not take Caddy’s virginity but Dalton did. Caddy's virginity was the last thing that was pure and true. By losing it, he feels there's nothing else left in life to live for. With that he proceeds to commit suicide. Faulkner also shows with time that failure to cope with the natural changes in the passage of time will drive one out of his mind. At the end of this chapter I found the quote, “twilight-colored smell of honeysuckle” quite intriguing to this chapter and previous. Is it because Caddy is now impure she now smells like honeysuckles rather than trees? And also what kind of emotions will Quentin death bring to the family? 

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you stuck to it and grasped some of the chapter-it wasn't totally unreadable

    ReplyDelete